Sunday, December 14, 2008

Pelvic Osteotomy :(

Savannah's appointment Friday (December 12) was a complete shocker for us. She is going to need a pelvic osteotomy (I think that's what hers is called. She was doing so well, and the socket was forming on it's own, but just stopped. She will have her surgery sometime in February(no date known yet). Of course that means another spica cast and everything.

I have really had a difficult time with it this time. Last time, it was a closed reduction, but this time she will be cut on, and I can't stand the thought of it. I want to puke when I think about it. Her daddy is really having a hard time with it. He's not really slept much since we found out, and he just cleans house till all hours of the night because he can't sleep. I am praying he will sleep better tonight because he's keeping me up with his tossing and turning. I don't sleep well, but I'd like to try though. We put on a happy front when she's up and around, but when she's napping or asleep at night, we talk about everything. I can't begin to tell you how scared I am about her going under anesthesia again,and having this kind of surgery. It makes me sick to my stomach to even think about it, yet I can't seem to stop thinking about it.

We were so distraught and shocked I didn't ask the doctor some questions I wish I would have now asked. How long is the surgery, and what is this cast going to look like compared to her first one? Those were the two main questions I need to ask, so I am going to give her Ortho doctor a call tomorrow to get some answers.

There's not much else I can say right now except we are still trying to just absorb the news. It's really a hard thing to chew, and it will take some time to cope with it all. There is one good thing that I can mention. She will have her cast on for 6 weeks after her surgery, and if all goes good, this will be the end of it all. I mean we will have follow-ups and everything, but this will be the end of the surgeries and everything. That's a positive thing, and I try to think about that when I start to get upset over everything.

I will update when I have more information about her surgery. I wish I had better news, but this is it for now.

2 comments:

Kelly said...

Hi, my prayers are with you for Savannah. My 12 yr old just had her 2-month follow up from her pelvic osteotomy, and she's doing great. She wore a brace when she was a baby, but it didn't help. She didn't start getting pain until about 9 months ago, and faced with her having a future of osteoarthritis and hip replacement, she wanted the surgery. I'm sure it's harder when you have a baby--they don't understand. My daughter was miserable in the spica cast, but she knew she had to do it. She will go in for the other hip in June. She thinks it's funny, because the surgery made her 1/4" taller on one side (we'll have to even it out!) All the best to you...

Mattsangel said...

Thank you Kelly. It's means a lot to me to hear from others who have been through the same thing.