Thursday, May 24, 2007

1st Laser Treatment

Savannah had her 1st and hopefully last laser treatment this morning. It wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be. I had myself so worked up over this, and it really wasn't THAT big of a deal. They tested the laser on my hand and on Matt's, so that we would know exactly what it felt like before the baby went through hers. I couldn't even feel it. It felt like somebody blowing air on my hand, and the sting I was supposed to feel was barely even noticeable.

Anyway, Matt stayed with Savannah during the procedure, and I waited out in the hallway. I wasn't sure how she was going to react to it all, and I couldn't handle the idea of watching her go through it. I opted for the hall while Matt stayed with her. I felt like the worst mother in the world for not being able to stay with my baby, but I hate watching her go through these things. I stood at the end of the hall and cried while I waited for the doctor to let me know how it went.

It was less than two minutes, and the Dr. came out carrying the car seat and the diaper bag. Matt was carrying Savannah, and she was fine. She wasn't crying or anything. The doctor said she did great and to continue the antibiotic and vaseline like we have been doing until our next appointment.

We went to the lobby on the first floor, and tried giving her a bottle before heading home. It was time for her to eat, but she was too interested in all the waterfalls and other scenery. We finally gave up and headed for home. Matt decided to go to work for the rest of the day once we were home.

Since we have been home, I have changed her diaper twice. Once it was a wet diaper, and once it was a dirty diaper. She didn't cry when she wet and/or pooped her diaper, and she didn't cry when I changed her. I am so grateful that diaper changes appear to no longer be miserable for her.It has been a night and day change since the laser treatment. We were told we wouldn't notice a change right off, but we have. It was immediate for her, and I am so very thankful for that. She is a much happier baby now, and the changing table isn't a nightmare anymore.

Her next appointment is June 14. They will decide then whether or not she will need another laser treatment to finish healing it. She will also have her 4 month check-up, and I am not looking forward to that. I hate the shots. The laser treatment is nothing compared to those awful shots. On the bright side, it will be interesting to see how much she weighs now and how long she has gotten since her last visit.

I am counting my blessings and praying for a good report from both doctors.

No comments: